Saturday, January 14, 2012

Can't be wrong.

Sitting here. On my bed. It's 4:41 A.M., and once again, I find myself wondering, "Why the hell am I still awake?!". So much for becoming a morning person. I guess I'll start with a recap of recent events, something that I haven't done for awhile, at least not chronologically and in great detail. I honestly don't even know where to start, so I guess we'll begin with today...well, technically "yesterday" now that it's past midnight.

I woke up sometime around 1 P.M. today after getting some much-needed sleep following an arduous first week of winter quarter and working closing shifts right after my classes. Having three weeks off for Christmas break and being able to come into work each and every day feeling bubbly and refreshed was a nice change of pace, but I've really forgotten what its like to pull a 12+ hour day until this weekend. Luckily for me, work hasn't been all that bad lately; this week has been a rather slow week due to the weather getting a little bit colder, so I was able to smoothly ease myself back into the groove of working. I expect it to be getting much busier in a week or two once it warms up.

Anyway, I didn't even roll out of bed until nearly 2 P.M. My parents were gone once again, so I reheated some leftover pastries and enjoyed them on the couch, still in my PJs, stretching and yawning as I munched on them while watching NFL Network. About half an hour later I brushed my teeth - and this is unusual for me, because unlike western culture, Asians (or at least Vietnamese people) brush their teeth first, and then they eat breakfast. For the past month or so I've been breaking the mold and eating breakfast prior to brushing, and I have to admit that it just plain makes sense. Why would you brush your teeth first if they're only going to get dirty again?! Not to mention that everything tastes gross with the aftertaste of toothpaste still in your mouth...

After brushing up, my parents came home, and asked if I wanted to go to Santana Row for dinner before I go to work later that night, and of course, I can never refuse dinner with my parents. I spent about an hour playing Battlefield 3, going 25-6 as I sat in an M1 Abrams for most of the round, earning 2 Combat Efficiency ribbons and a total score of somewhere close to 20,000 points for the round. I then showered and left to get gas, and then met up with my parents after that. We decided to eat at Left Bank, a restaurant that I pass by every day but never really had a chance to try. Despite working on The Row, I always feel underdressed and out-of-placed whenever I'm there, but nonetheless, we had quite a satisfying dinner, if I may say so myself. Worth the high price that comes with dining at an upscale, trendy restaurant? Probably not, but it was nice.

Work was typical, if not a little slow. I'm gradually recognizing more and more of the regulars that come in. I love the look on a customer's face when I greet them with familiarity, especially if it's my first time doing so to them; they always give me a stifled smile and a look as if to say, "Oops, I know that I come here way too often, this is my guilty pleasure, but it's just so good!". Despite it being a somewhat underwhelming day as far as our sales went, the big-ballers definitely showed up tonight: our tip jar was overflowing, and I received two $5 personal tips, which has never happened to me before tonight. Of course, for the sake of fairness, I put the bills back into the tip jar. But still, it was a nice gesture.

After work, I gave my coworker and friend Bernie a ride home since he didn't have one, and since he lives in Milpitas and I hadn't been there for awhile, I decided to go for a brief, yet relaxing cruise around town after dropping him off. There's something about this city that captivates me...but only at night. Something about driving down Main St., past the library, looking at the rows of bright white lamps on either side, the sleek navy-blue and orange street signs at the intersections (which are much neater than the boring green ones that we have), the tranquility and calmness of it all...I just don't get that feeling anywhere else. I don't think there's a place in San Jose that I can go to and drive, and feel as relaxed as I do driving around Milpitas. That, and the 680 at night.

And here I am, five hours later, still awake, listening to acoustics as my eyes begin to close, a melody and a heart full of hope to lull me to sleep, anticipation for what tomorrow may bring. I would stay awake, but I kind of like sleeping. It's only in my dreams that this has already come true, and nothing feels sweeter than that single moment in which you first regain consciousness after a deep slumber and you're awake, but at the same time incapable of making the distinction between dreams and reality. In that moment, these sheets have never felt warmer. In that moment, you are mine.


Until then, I'll stay dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment