Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Perfectionist.

Thomas, Jaimee, me, and Vinh. SJSU, 06/01/2010.

I'm normally quick to point out the flaws in every little thing, especially pictures, but on a day like this, I really couldn't have asked for much more. Here are some of the chillest, nicest, down-to-earth people that I know, and it's unfortunate that I don't spend that much time with them, especially Thomas now that he's going to school at Overfelt, but being able to spend time with your friends on your birthday is more than enough to please a guy like me.

We were there to do our performance reviews on a choir concert taking place that night at SJSU. It began at 6, and when my mom picked me up from school she informed me that my dad would be home at 5:30 to take me there. Being the sleepyhead that I am, I ended up falling asleep for about an hour on the couch at around 4:15, waking up with just enough time for me to get ready. My dad and I seem to be talking more now, much to my surprise, and what makes it even better is that he's the one taking the initiative to reach out to me. I suppose it's because he finally recognizes that I'm growing up, and I'm not the little boy that I once was. We've spoken about a lot of things lately, but there are two things that come up often in our conversations that I'm really stoked about: building a new computer for him and buying a new car for me.

I arrived at SJSU at around 5:50. We had to take a detour down Senter, as the 280 bridge was backed up for miles of rush-hour traffic. I met up with Quiatchon, who always spots me just moments before I ever am able to see him, and we entered the Concert Hall. I was a bit confused at first and didn't have any idea where to find the building, but once I entered I realized that it was the exact same place where my cousin's graduation took place last year. This time around, it was much more empty. There was a grand total of maybe 50 people, if even that, with the majority of them being Silver Creek students. Jackie came shortly after the concert began, and just before the intermission, I saw Nicole, Ashley, Tiana, and Kuya Don. Note to self: Get my shorts back from Tiana!

After listening to 7 pieces, I decided that enough was enough, and Thomas and I left to grab a bite to eat at La Vic's. Man, the first bite killed me! There must have been a concentrated amount of pepper and spices at the end of the burrito that I chose to dig into first, because my mouth exploded as soon as I sank my teeth into the super-soft tortilla. Oddly enough, as I continued eating, the overall spiciness began to decrease, even as I drenched the giant wrap in more and more of the delicious tangy orange sauce. The thing I love the most about a La Vic's burrito is that it satisfy my hunger just enough to keep me full for a good five or six hours, but doesn't overwhelm me to the point where I feel as if my stomach would burst at any second. Overall, though, I still have to place La Vic's at a tie for second place with Burrito Azteca, and Super Taqueria taking home the title, obviously. My good friend David Lam knows what's up with that Super T! He lives all the way in Irvine, but it's become a necessity, even a ritual for us to hit up the local Super Taqueria every time he's in town. There's just no way we can't!

With a great big burrito in my stomach and a cup of soda in my hand, we walked back to the Concert Hall, where the concert had just ended. There, we met up with Jaimee and Vinh, and the picture that you see above this giant wall of text (CRITS YOUR EYES FOR 79075821752990) is the result. I also saw Kevin Vu, who I'm going to miss very much once I graduate. I first met him in my math class during Sophomore year. The class itself was akin to something you would see from Freedom Writers; it was complete and utter chaos practically the entire period, and only a select few people actually did any work in that class. Kevin was one of those few, and the guy that everybody on our side of the room copied from. Flash forward two years, with a year of no contact whatsoever between us, and there we were, sitting in piano class, and from the very first day of my Senior year, the jokes between us never let up. From stretching our hands trying to span 15 notes like Rachmaninoff to our deliberate mispronunciations of "chords", "scales", "Chopin", and "Debussy" to yelling "THE WHOLE TING?!" and even reliving the antics of Eric and Andrew from math class two years ago, we turned turned an extremely boring class to a room of laughter and knee-slappers for everyone around us. Oh, and how could I forget Mark, Michael, and of course, Ms. Dixon? For someone who counts down the minutes until the bell rings in that class every day, I never thought I'd find myself monologuing about piano class. But, here I am, rambling on and on!

Anyway, I arrived home safe and sound at around 8:15 P.M. last night to a pan of fried rice, which I was much to stuffed to eat even a spoonful of. Quiatchon, who always loves my mom's fried rice, unfortunately couldn't make it to my house that night, so it looks like next time it is, then. Another note to self: my seaweed is still at Quiatchon's house, waiting for me to come over so we can make some spam musubi with it.

All in all, I've gotta say that I had a pretty swell birthday. Even though nothing extraordinary really stood out, it's the little things in life that make the most difference, and for which I'm eternally grateful. I'd just like to take the time to extend another big "thank you" to everyone who wished me a happy birthday yesterday, and for the small gifts I received from my family and friends. Thank you for making my 18th birthday a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment