Thursday, May 27, 2010

Concert in the Gym

Man, what's up with this weather!

Tonight was Silver Creek High School's annual "Concert on the Lawn", but due to this wacky May weather we're having, it eventually became "Concert in the Gym". Anyway, back to that in a bit. I think I'll do a quick recap of my day, something that I haven't done in quite awhile.

I've been waking up rather early this week, and although there were some days this week that I didn't shower in the morning, I must admit that it's nice to actually have the option of doing so. It's true what they say, you know: The early bird gets the worm. I guess my 4-hour-long afternoon naps are doing some good, after all!

The school year is finally winding down, and its come to the point where my grades are in the back of my mind now. All that's left to do is a couple of finals and a few presentations (one of which came today), and I'm home free. My Psychology presentation took longer than I expected due to my rambling and I ended up being cut short by the bell, but all in all, I think I did a bang-up job. Next up is my report on Alan Menken for my piano class on Tuesday. I'll be presenting a Powerpoint slideshow as well as performing Part of Your World for the class on that day, which just happens to be my birthday. Thanks, SCHS, for having Senior finals on my birthday. I appreciate it, I really don't. Luckily, my school day tomorrow consists of a play in one period and parties in the next two, which, in addition to the 3-day weekend, will give me some much-needed R&R before my final week of high school starts.

Taking a step back to the concert now. My piano teacher, Ms. Dixon, asked me if I could accompany the choir for a special all-Senior performance as a final farewell to my beloved Class of 2010, and, there's no way I would turn down another performance opportunity! The past few weeks of practices and rehearsals have definitely taken a toll on me, both physically and mentally. Not only did I walk back and forth from school three times yesterday just to be at practice, I've also given up some valuable napping time in the process. On the bright side of things, it's also given me a chance to spend time with a lot of fine folks that I don't normally talk to, such as Martin and Leslie, and of course, chilling with Quiatchon and Fatts (Nicole!) is always fun. Despite all the times I showed up to rehearsals half-asleep, I must say that the end result sure was worth it. Despite a few slip-ups, I honestly think that that was one of the funnest performances I've ever been in. I love you, Class of 2010!

Before I call it a night, I have a quick confession to make: It is only dawning on me now that I am going to be 18 in less than a week, and out of high school in a little less than two. As excited as I may seem to be getting out of here, I have to admit that tonight was the first time I've genuinely felt sadness in my heart as I took one last longing look around at all the beautiful faces on this campus and realized that - as proud as I am of what I've done here - I just gave my final performance at Silver Creek High School as a student.

But my spirits are high and my will unbreakable, and hopefully, definitely, one day I'll return, just to light up the stage one more time for the world to see. Until then...I'll be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment