Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Nonexistant Fireworks.

Boom, boom, boom. There's nothing quite like the sound of explosions in the air to commemorate the day our nation gained its independence some two-hundred thirty-four years ago. Each and every Fourth of July is a cause for good food and great company, and each and every year I make sure to set aside whatever commitments and curfews I've made and just sit outside, wherever I may be, just to get a glimpse of those magnificent miniature balls of fire exploding in the night sky, each with its own story to tell as stars become obscured by smoke and hearts began to slow. Each and every year, we all gather to celebrate...only this year, I was nowhere to be found. Although a bit dismayed and disheveled from missing out on another one of the great joys of life, I simply can't help but be enamored by the prospect of having my own Independence Day someday, a day when I will find the strength to break free from these chains that restrain me so and finally be able to offer myself fully and wholly to another beautiful human being again; And in that blissful moment that our eyes meet, our fingers interlock, our lips graze each other as the air around us begins to swirl, our hearts will beat together as one, one pulsating beat resonating deep within us with the power to touch our souls as if a million fireworks were instantly set off, illuminating our skies and our lives for as long as we may exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment