Saturday, July 23, 2011

Go Fish.

They tell me that there are plenty of fish in the sea. Well, I won't stop until I find myself a mermaid, then.

There's an interesting emotional phenomenon that often occurs during the falling-out of a romantic endeavor, and its a feeling that I think we can all relate to: that feeling that you have to be with this person, that you and this person were meant for each other and nothing on earth could possibly keep you two apart. Yet where are we now? Two complete strangers once again, our paths likely to never cross.

Looking back on all of the girls that I've developed feelings for in the past, I noticed one thing: they all live within a fifteen-mile radius of me. Of course, that's to be expected, because proximity is one of the biggest factors when it comes to interpersonal relationships, whether they're romantic or not. After all, you can't get to know someone who you don't come into contact with, right? But looking at this has also made me realize something else: while I'm sitting here pouring my heart out and dwelling over someone who lives ten minutes away from me, there are billions of other people out there, and among them, maybe others who feel just like me.

I don't believe in soulmates anymore, for this reason and this reason alone. I don't think that there's such a thing as two people who are truly meant and destined to be with each other; the very notion of such a thing is asinine. Surely among all the people in the world, there isn't just one other person that we're each compatible with. Just think about all of the people that you haven't met, all of the potential out there, just waiting for you. Think of all of the people who have ever caught your eye, the people who you found interesting but never had the opportunity to really get to know, and just think, "What if?"


But I do believe in love, perhaps now more than ever. It just takes a little time to discover, and sometimes you're just dealt a bad hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment