Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Heart to Heart.

So it's 3:07 A.M. at the moment. I'm currently in somewhat of a childlike state; I spent the past hour watching cartoons and eating cereal, and now I have songs from The Lion King on repeat. But hey, can you really blame me?! I still can't believe I'm about to go into my second year of college. Life has been rather kind to me lately, and I've become a more independent person as a whole, making my own plans, going out whenever I please, paying for my own things and whatnot. It feels good, being "free".

But there's something missing. Something is always missing, isn't it! I've realized that one of the things that I miss the most is just making friends. Sure, I've made friends in college, but those are mostly the "small talk while we're in class together" type of friends, not the "hey wanna hang out sometime?" kind, if you know what I mean! Everyone here just seems to want to get in and out of their classes as soon as possible.

Remember when you were a kid, maybe entering kindergarten or first grade and not really knowing anyone in the class? One of the best things about being a kid was being able to make friends so easily. Nobody ever looked at somebody and judged them based on what they wore or wondered what kind of person they were. There was no such thing as blogs or Facebook profiles to look at and make judgments on. You would simply just go up to another kid who happened to be playing nearby, maybe with a toy that you really wanted, and you would just play together. No need for any introductions or questions, just fun. That's what I miss the most.

These days, everyone seems to roll in their own crews and circles, and if I were to go up to a random person on campus and try to generate a genuine conversation out of thin air, chances are, they'd think I'm some sort of creep. And that's really such a shame, because I've seen so many people who look like they'd be interesting to chat to and hang out with! But what can I do, you know? Sometimes I wonder how many other people out there feel this way too, and are simply too preoccupied with the possible negative outcomes to ever build up the confidence to show interest in a stranger, just like me.


I just can't wait to be king.

No comments:

Post a Comment